Fair Rent, Just Cause for Eviction and Homeowner Protection Ordinance
We must secure essential protections for tenants in San Leandro. The Fair Rent, Just Cause for Eviction and Homeowner Protection Ordinance will:
Limit Rent Increases
- Lesser or 4% or % change in CPI.
- No more than once a year.
Establish Just Cause for Eviction Protections
- Evictions only for reasons required by state such as failure to pay rent or breach of lease terms.
- Expanded relocation fees for no fault evictions required by state.
Provide some exemptions for non-corporate single-family homeowners
- Renting a room in a house and temporary leases exempted from rent limits.
- ADU or granny units in an owner occupied home exempted from rent limits.
Additional Protection for Tenants
- Establish City infrastructure to provide tenant counselling and advice.
- Require the City is notified before rent increase or evictions so we can know they are legal.
- No Discrimination based on income source.
- Buyout agreement protections.
See the latest draft version of the ordinance for details HERE.